Class is not currently scheduled.
The first of two courses on sextant (celestial) navigation.
You will use a sextant to take sights on the Sun and use that information to plot your location using a Running Fix. This course describes:
- how to reduce your sun sights to determine celestial Lines of Position (LOP)
- the proper use of a sextant
- the importance of correct time
- accurate plotting
- the use of nautical almanacs and navigational tables.
You will also complete a paper cruise where you will have the opportunity to see how one might use a sextant in conjunction with a GPS on a trip towards Bermuda.
Prerequisite: Advanced Marine Navigation
- USPS member (includes books): $85.00
- USPS member (sharing books): $10.00
- Non-USPS member (includes books): $190.00
- Non-USPS member (sharing books): $30.00