March 6 to May 1, 2019
The first of two courses on sextant (celestial) navigation.
You will use a sextant to take sights on the Sun and use that information to plot your location using a Running Fix. This course describes:
- how to reduce your sun sights to determine celestial Lines of Position (LOP)
- the proper use of a sextant
- the importance of correct time
- accurate plotting
- the use of nautical almanacs and navigational tables.
You will also complete a paper cruise where you will have the opportunity to see how one might use a sextant in conjunction with a GPS on a trip towards Bermuda.
Prerequisite: Advanced Marine Navigation
Please contact the Instructor, Lynn Dail at (919) 636-5855
or email email@example.com. NOTE: classes will be held at 42 Preakness Dr., Durham, NC. 27713
Wednesday, Mar 6, 6:30 PM
Wednesday, May 1, 9:00 PM
42 Preakness Drive
- USPS member (includes books): $85.00
- USPS member (sharing books): $10.00
- Non-USPS member (includes books): $190.00
- Non-USPS member (sharing books): $30.00
with United States Power Squadrons®